April 1, 2015

On Potty Training



I have read the potty training boot camp book. I have had many friends tell me it was a life saver. I have read countless blogs, message boards, and ranting news articles by parents with all forms of knowledge on the perfect method to get your kid trained in a weeks time. But what I just cant understand, is how the kids in the books are so compliant. Despite the anecdotal 'accidents', on all forms of wood or expensively carpeted floors (or walls), the kids in these tales seem to come out as obedient, potty-trained machines in little to no time.

My 3 year old is not so easily broken. Like the legendary 30 year old horse at my barn growing up named Image, who would fly through a 9 rail course in under 2 minutes flat despite his riders' best efforts to slow him, my child just wont succumb to pressure no matter how gently (or forcibly) applied.

I have tried the overpriced Thomas engines (his favorite). The bags of M&Ms that his teachers find success with. Bribes, pleadings, promises, tears, and indifference. Nada.

Until one glorious day, after days (weeks?) spent without one mention of the potty, I was standing in 4 inch heels on a delayed and packed train that crept through the tunnel inching toward Penn station. My husband texted me that our son insisted on underwear today. He seemed irritated, so I texted faster than my fingers would allow to say 'great! make a fuss! pack extra pants!' worried he might try to dissuade him. Luckily my messages were received, and off to school my tot went in said underwear. I was so excited I proceeded to tell my client (whom I had to jog in those heels to meet thanks to the LIRRs usual lack of punctuality) about what a great morning it was. Since then we have had some downs (refusals to go, and a nearly broken nose when I rushed to fetch his potty only to run full force into marble sink) but mostly ups. Nothing about parenting is easy, most of it leaves an otherwise capable adult feeling like an utter imbecile (or crying when no one is looking). But its pretty awesome.



4 comments:

  1. I remember Image! He was a great horse. I've heard from various co-workers about the trials and tribulations of potty training. Glad it sounds like the worst is behind you!

    www.livinginsteil.com
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having twins obviously mean there will be two babies in a family. This also means that your work will be doubled. Feeding and caring for the twins require a lot of preparation, together with a positive mindset and outlook for the accomplishment of taking good care for the your child. In the area of potty training, like "one-child family," your twins should also be trained day by day. For this to prosper and contribute in enhancing their development, follow these tips for potty training twins. itstimetopotty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Discover what the experts say about ADHD and bedwetting. Learn some useful tips you as a parent can do to help. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bedwetting is so much more than an embarrassing problem for adolescents. Adolescents live in the paralyzing fear of discovery and live life to avoid discovery. Susan Nipa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips