September 6, 2017

Do You Promise This Too Shall Pass?






Its 9 am and I'm on my 4th cup. Last night, thanks in part to back to school colds, teething, pink eye, deadlines, the anxiety of the approaching 4th quarter at work, and a variety of other soul-sucking factors, I slept for 45 minutes. In total. I have read all the blogs, comments and self-help books on colicky babies. The thing is, I don't have a colicky baby. I have an amazing baby who smiles, laughs, crawls, and babbles all day long. He just does. Not. Sleep.

Not in the crib, not in my arms, not in the rocking chair, not in the bed on top of me, not in the bed next to me. He will fall asleep at 9pm in the crib giving me false hope that maybe, just maybe this will be the night he sleeps. I'd praise the lord for even a solid 3 hours stretch. But like an egg timer, by 9:31 he is up. We have tried the rigid day schedule, 4 hour feedings, reducing night bottles, withholding night bottles, freely giving night bottles. He does. Not. Sleep.

Last night I reached the pinnacle of despair, as pink eye set in (for me, not him), and I fought the urge to rub my face as I walked circles around his large nursery, patting, rubbing, singing to him as he restlessly thrashed against my neck. Not crying, just thrashing. Surely this cant go on all night, right? But as the clock tauntingly crept from 1 am to 2, then 3 and 4, it continued. I may have shed a silent tear as I pleaded with him to sleep, feeling instantly sour with guilt because he is such a good boy. But as the unread email count climbs to 50 before 6 am I am in a hole of anguish thinking about the day ahead, and another night like this might break me. Or it might push me over our allotted wine budget for the entire month on the 6th day.



2 comments:

  1. So sorry, Christina! It sounds like you had a very rough night. I hope you re able to get some sleep soon. Having to function on zero sleep is torture!

    www.livinginsteil.com
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may sound extreme or odd or financially ridiculous: although it is true that he WILL become a better sleeper (as long as not caused by severe reflux or another night time medical issue) as he gets older and you are consistent etc, I think you have done your best and need/deserve to be able to be your best and for that reason it may be time for a night nurse. She will be able to help sleep train him and help YOU to get sleep. A month may be all you need - a fresh set of eyes and thoughts and reassurance can do wonders. Good luck mama, sounds like you have more grace than I would. . .well done!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips