September 19, 2017

5 (ish) Ingredient Crock Pot Meals




I grew up in an Italian home (my dad being Italian only by marriage to mom at a young age, where her family influenced his ways before true adulthood). Food was always a production, weekend meals would be cooked all day (by my dad!) and a grilled cheese cooked on the stove top (with butter and real cheese) fixed everything from a cold to a breakup. My In-Laws don't cook. They love good food, but preparing, chopping, cutting, heating, it's just not their thing. And rather than see them eat prepared dinners from the market when I'm not making our weekly Sunday dinners, I sent them some of my super easy, no cooking involved recipes (and a link to a new crock pot. This one is about $30 from target). Genetic high-cholesterol is also an issue for my family and many others, so I generally lean toward vegetable heavy, lean meat options using whole foods when possible and minimal 'processed' ingredients. Several friends have also asked me to send meal ideas their way, so I'm going to start sharing my top 5 (ish) ingredient or less crock pot meals where you can literally throw it in, and press 'on'.

Crock Pot Puttanesca


you'll need:

  • 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts (get a natural kind, no hormones, etc)
  • 1 jar strained plum tomatoes or low sodium/low sugar pasta sauce (I like to make my own but this version is supposed to be for the cooking adverse)
  • 1/2 cup diced organic olives
  • 1/3 cup capers
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
Put it all into the crock, heat on low for 7 hours. Take out the chicken and shred it with utensils or your hands, put it back and stir it around and you're done. If you're not watching your waistline try it over pasta, or add the leftovers on top of mixed greens for lunch the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips