September 15, 2017

4 Years Without Dad





Hard to think that Sunday marks 4 years since my dad passed so suddenly, 48 hours after he sat on my couch drinking a glass of wine with me and Tom. Tuck was just 2 and a half, and his memories of my dad live now only in my accounts of past stories, pictures, and his precious model ships displayed proudly in Tuck's room. He has missed my biggest promotion at work, our move out of New York, and Wells. Each wedding anniversary, which occurs just days after his passing, is piercing in my chest as I think about how much joy he felt on September 26, 2009. After all, my dad is the one who chose Oheka Castle for our wedding, picked the champagne to serve, the wine list, and organized the jazz club and cigar bar after hours party in the library.

He would LOVE the enthusiastic, little history buff Tucker is at age 6, and marvel over how much Wells looks like his older brother. He would have been my first call as I opened the letter congratulating me on my acceptance to the Connecticut Bar last fall, and he'd be disappointed that I ever doubted myself as I worked these last few years. He'd be proud of how much both Tom and I have accomplished collectively as we mire through the weeds 24 hours a day lately, and he'd surely have bought us some better wine than the bottles we squeezed in on our (measly) budget recently. Sunday we will drink something he'd approve of, worthy of a toast to a magnificent man.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss, Christina! This was a beautiful tribute to your father and it brought tears to my eyes. I'm sure he would be so proud of you and your family. Sending you lots of love!

    www.livinginsteil.com
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips